Mt. Mansfield Winter Academy looks for a variety of attributes in an applicant. Well-rounded individuals who are committed and dedicated to both their academic and athletic pursuits are best suited for this program. We seek students who have:
- A strong work ethic
- Motivation for self-improvement
- Curiosity about the world
- Compassion and respect for others
- A sense of humor
- The ability to learn independence and responsibility
- A willingness to participate in all levels of our community
- The ability to manage a rigorous schedule
- A minimum of 2 years prior race experience
Although we recommend that applicants be strong students, the nature of the program has led to successes on a number of fronts including academic confidence and improved learning skills. We pride ourselves on encouraging and supporting each student’s interests beyond education and competition.
To be considered for admission, we require a completed Application for Admission form. In addition, please submit the following:
- Coach Recommendation. If applicants have not been previously involved with the Mt. Mansfield Ski Club, we ask current coaches to comment in writing on athletes’ on-snow characteristics, and provide insight on racing/competition history and potential. MMWA requests that applicants have at least 2 years race/competition experience.
- Academic Recommendation. MMWA is a unique program which demands a significant amount of self-discipline and mature study habits. We ask a teacher or guidance counselor to comment on how applicants exemplify these traits.
- Academic Records. An official transcript of the student’s most recent two semesters is also requested.
For a student to be considered for admission, all completed materials must be returned to MMWA by April 15th. The Admission Committee meets in May and students will be notified in writing of application decisions by May 15th.
Please send the completed application, recommendations, transcript and application fee of $75 to:
Mt. Mansfield Winter Academy
P.O. Box 3269
Stowe, VT 05672